Green Airports Recognition
The Green Airports Recognition aims to promote environmental best practices to minimize aviation’s impact on the environment and to recognize airport members who have outstanding accomplishments in their environmental projects.
By participating in this initiative, airports can share their environmental projects with other airports in the region and have the chance to be recognized for their achievements. Platinum, Gold or Silver recognition will be awarded in various airport size categories. The top submissions will be captured in the Green Airports Recognition publication.
We have witnessed many more forward-looking countries and airports in 2021 voluntarily pledge Net-Zero Carbon Emissions by 2050 in response to climate change challenges. As the voice of airport operators and in alignment with ACI’s long-term carbon goal, ACI Asia-Pacific has selected Carbon Management as the theme for Green Airports Recognition 2022 to accentuate its importance in best practices sharing among airports along the decarbonization journey, in particular Scope 1 and Scope 2 carbon emission reduction.
Green Airports Recognition 2022, recognizing twelve airports in Asia-Pacific and the Middle East for their outstanding achievements in carbon management. Participating airports (adjudicated according to the size of the airport) all demonstrated exceptional best practices in their respective decarbonization journeys, specifically in Scope 1 and Scope 2 carbon emission reductions.
The recognized airports are:
Over 50 million passengers per annum:
- Platinum – Hong Kong International Airport
- Weather Forecast for Air-conditioning Control System (Weather FACTS) Project
- Gold – Kuala Lumpur International Airport
- Embracing Green Energy of Ground Power Unit (GPU) for Sustainable Carbon Management
- Silver – Beijing Capital International Airport
- Green Prefabricated Building
Between 15-50 million passengers per annum:
- Platinum – Kempegowda International Airport
- ZERO Scope 2 Emissions at BIAL
- Gold – Taoyuan International Airport
- Lean Power Consumption and Carbon Reduction Project
- Silver – Rajiv Gandhi International Airport
- Sustainable Airport Operations for Efficient Carbon Management and Effective Reduction
Between 5-15 million passengers per annum:
- Platinum – Christchurch International Airport
- Innovation and Aquifers
- Gold – Queen Alia International Airport
- Heating, Cooling Systems Improvement
- Silver – Bahrain International Airport
- New Passenger Terminal Building Project
Less than 5 million passengers per annum:
- Platinum – Hawke's Bay Airport
- 100% Renewable Carbon Zero Electricity
- Gold – Nadi International Airport
- Terminal Modernization Project - Carbon Emission Reduction Initiative
- Silver – Darwin International Airport
- Aerobridge and Apron Upgrades
A full list of submitted projects from honourees, please read here.
Each year, a different theme is chosen from the following environmental aspects:
- Environmental Policy and Management (including green procurement)
- Air quality
- Water (including both municipal water usage and wastewater discharge)
- Ground transportation
- Land & water contamination
The Green Airports Recognition run by ACI Asia-Pacific is an excellent initiative helping airports share best practice initiatives across the region and providing recognition for those taking action to improve their environmental performance
- Green Airports Recognition 2022 - Carbon Management
- Green Airports Recognition 2021 - Air Quality Management
- Green Airports Recognition 2020 - Water Management
- Green Airports Recognition 2019 - Green Airport Infrastructure
- Green Airports Recognition 2018 - Waste Minimization
- Green Airports Recognition 2017 - Energy Management
For inquiries, please contact us for further information.