The ACI Asia-Pacific Regional Economics Committee aims to provide regional support to members on airport economics matters, and serves as a forum for members to share best practices, discuss challenges and opportunities in areas such as airport charges, models of ownership, financing and performance management. The Committee was established in April 2015. Membership of this Committee is open to all airport members.
- Mr. Nagy Abu Zeid, Oman Airports Management Company
- Mr. Fariz Qisti, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
Immediate Past Chair
- Mr. Jeffrey Loke, Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
- Mr. Ahmed Shahid Ibrahim, Maldives Airports Company
- Ms. Charlotte Serveille, Cambodia Airports
- Mr. Francois Southarewsky, Kansai Airports
- Mr. Jonghwa An, Korea Airports Corp.
- Mr. Keqiang Wu, Shanghai Airport Authority
- Mr. Lan Cheng Shen, Beijing Capital International Airport
- Ms. Leena Faraj, Bahrain Airport Company SPC
- Ms. Min-Jeong Kim, Incheon International Airport Corp.
- Mr. Mohamed Al Sharif, Sharjah Airport Authority
- Mr. Quoc Hung Nguyen, Airports Corporation of Vietnam
- Mr. Rasool Poostforoushan, Iran Airports and Air Navigation Company
- Mr. Ryuichi Kigawa, Narita International Airport Corp.
- Mr. Steven Huang, Taoyuan International Airport Corp.
- Mr. Thamer Ali Mofarrij, General Authority of Civil Aviation, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Ms. Unchalee Pramualcharoenkit, Airports of Thailand Public Company Ltd.
- Ms. Vidya Vaidyanathan, Airports Authority of India
- Mr. Madhukar Dodrajka, Delhi International Airport Ltd.
- Mr. Jatin Ahuja, Hamad International Airport
- 2019 - 2020 | Mr. Gregory Jamet, Kansai Airports
- 2015 - 2019 | Mr. Jeffrey Loke, Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
The Regional Economics Committee met online for the second time on 22 September. Members shared experience of implementing COVID-19 related public health measures at their respective airports, the challenges faced in dealing with border controls and re-starting the industry, and uncertainties surround forecasting for longer-term infrastructure development needs.
The main focus of the meeting was to develop the Committee Work Plan for 2021 incorporating feedback from the ACI APAC Board. Initiatives in the pipeline include the COVID-19 impacts on the overall financial performance of airports, the economic sustainability of airports toward recovery and airport privatization.
Virtual Meeting, 9 July 2020
Amid the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Regional Economics Committee met online for the first time on 9 July. Members discussed and shared experiences of implementing public health measures, and shared anticipated challenges for the industry to prepare for restart in air travel.
A working group was established to assess whether the health measures implemented at airports will constitute a significant cost burden on airports. The group concluded that financial estimates do not point to significant cost implications to airports at the current capacity level.
Fall Meeting, Bahrain, 18 – 19 November 2019
The 10th Regional Economics Committee meeting was held in Bahrain in November 2019. Much of the discussions were dedicated to preliminary findings of an Asia-Pacific-wide study analyzing airport charges and airfares. This regional study is in response to advocacy efforts by airlines around the world calling on governments to step up regulation on airport charges, claiming that airports exercise monopoly market power that led to high airport charges.
Spring Meeting, Hong Kong, 1-2 April 2019
The 9th Regional Economics Committee meeting was held in Hong Kong in April 2019. The Committee received a firm mandate from the Regional Board to conduct an Asia-Pacific study analyzing airport charges and airfares in preparation to counter airline advocacy campaigns claiming that airports have monopoly power that results in high airport charges. The Committee had extensive discussions about the possible scope and approaches to be adopted for the study.
This Task Force was established in February 2020 to strengthen engagement with members in the region on slot related matters, and to coordinate regional position to provide guidance to discussion at the global level.
- Mr. Abdul Ghafoor, Maldives Airports Company Ltd.
- Mr. Arvind Arya, Bangalore International Airport Ltd.
- Mr. Chin Leong Teo, Fukuoka International Airport Co. Ltd.
- Mr. David Thompson, Cambodia Airports
- Mr. Donald Tan, Changi Airport Group
- Mr. Francois Southarewsky, Kansai Airports
- Mr. Husnul Anwar Abdul Wahab, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- Mr. Ioannis Metsovitis, Hamad International Airport
- Mr. Jem Aldemir, Kansai Airports
- Mr. Jitendra Singh, Delhi International Airport
- Mr. Jonathan Rona, Sydney AIrport
- Mr. Michael Gilderdale, Australia Pacific Airports Corp. Ltd.
- Mr. Mohamed Niyaz, Maldives Airports Company Ltd.
- Mr. Mohd Arif Jaafar, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- Mr. Mohd Munawar Mahadzir, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- Mr. Nik Hammond, Sydney Airport
- Mr. Peerapat Surapolchai, Airports of Thailand Plc.
- Mr. Richard Cheng, Taoyuan International Airport
- Mr. Robert Whitehouse, Dubai Airports
- Mr. Ryusuke Uemura, Narita International Airport Corp.
- Mr. Sachin Deo, Bangalore International Airport Ltd.
- Mr. Shahrunnizam Abdu Jamil, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- Ms. So-hee Lee, Korea Airports Corporation
- Mr. Tony Wearing, Airport Authority Cook Islands
Please contact us for further information.