Narita International Airport Pledges its Commitment to the Fight against Human Trafficking
- 25 Apr 2019
Air Transport, being a fast and convenient mode of transport, people, commodity and businesses are carried across border to every corner of the world and is meant to contribute to global economic growth. Unfortunately, human traffickers deliberately use this speed and convenience for their criminal activities in smuggling their captive victims through the airports and transport on aircrafts engaging in immoral trade.
Narita International Airport Corporation, to play it’s part in delivering the Global Goals setout in the UN’s SDGs and to be a sustainability practitioner, we pledge to collaborate with the Ministry of Justice Tokyo Regional Immigration Services Bureau, Airport Police and the Airlines operating at Narita Airport in the aim at ending human trafficking globally. We will carryout trainings for the airport workers to raise awareness so the people at our airport can sense, feel and act upon any signs of potential smuggling of human trafficking victims across our airport to prevent, save and end the ordeal of the people in captive.
Scope of Collaboration
① Provide Staff Training and organize Workshops
• Carry-out awareness trainings for airport workers so that they are able to stay keen to be aware of the human trafficking profile, pattern and captive victim’s signals and learn the initiatives undertaken by the Japanese government and become capable to act upon any indications, signs to assist in rescuing victims.
⇒ Seminar conducted by the Airport Police Station and IATA (1) to be scheduled soon.
② Raise Awareness
• Placing leaflets in the airport premises ( such as toilets and counters will provide victims with the opportunity to ask for help and also publicizing the Anti-Trafficking Initiatives at the airport to the travelers and general public with handouts and hopefully posters will help to curb human trafficking. ⇒ Placing Reminder leaflets and handouts ⇒ Publicizing related information on the airport website, posters, etc.
③ Support Campaigns by the International Organizations
• Collaborating with campaigns such as #eyesopen (IATA, ACI(2) ) and Blue Heart (UNODC(3) )
• Showing campaign videos ( IATA video #eyesopen campaign, etc.)
• Putting-up campaign posters, etc.
① IATA：International Air Transport Association
② ACI：Airports Council International